Search archive
Explore Archive

Texas Superintendent of Public Buildings and Grounds

Superintendent of Public Buildings and Grounds

The 14th Texas Legislature (Senate Bill 335, 1st Regular session) created the Superintendent of Public Buildings and Grounds in 1874 to take charge of the public halls of the Capitol and Library as well as the safekeeping and preservation of the Capitol grounds and State cemetery. The Superintendent was appointed by the Governor for a term of four years and was to be a practical horticulturist. Additional buildings were soon added to the Superintendent’s purview, as the 2nd Regular Session of the 14th Legislature tasked the Superintendent with contracting for gas lighting for the Capitol and the Governor’s Mansion (Joint Resolution 2). In 1877, the Superintendent contracted with the architectural firm of Preston and Ruffini to examine the condition of the Treasury and Comptroller’s buildings. In 1879, the position of Superintendent became a two-year term appointed by the Governor and under the supervision of the Commissioner of Insurance, Statistics, and History. Duties reverted to the public halls of the Capitol, the Capitol grounds, and State cemetery (Revised Civil Statutes, Chapter 2, Title 76). The Governor’s Mansion came under charge of the governor, the Treasury building under the charge of the treasurer and comptroller, and other buildings on the capitol grounds under the charge of heads of the department. The office of Superintendent of Public Buildings and Grounds was abolished in 1919 and duties absorbed the Texas State Board of Control, created by the 36th Texas Legislature (Senate Bill 147, Regular Session).

Superintendent of Public Buildings and Grounds records


Superintendent of Public Buildings and Grounds records, 1877-1916, undated

Elevator Cab No. 110

Elevator Cab No. 110

Creator: Texas. Superintendent of Public Buildings and Grounds.
Title: Superintendent of Public Buildings and Grounds records
Dates: 1877-1916, undated
Abstract: The 14th Texas Legislature (Senate Bill 335, Regular Session) created the Superintendent of Public Buildings and Grounds in 1874 to take charge of the public halls of the Capitol and State Library as well as the safekeeping and preservation of the Capitol grounds and State Cemetery. This office also briefly worked with the Governor’s Mansion, Treasury Building, and Comptroller Building. In 1879, the office came under the supervision of the Commissioner of Insurance, Statistics, and History (Revised Civil Statutes, Chapter 2, Title 76). The office was abolished in 1919 and its duties absorbed by the Texas State Board of Control (Senate Bill 147, 36th Legislature, Regular Session). Records date 1877-1916, undated, and include financial records, reports, various inventories, payroll records, bids, specifications, blueprints, drawings, and prints.

Click here to enter the records

Click here to access the online finding aid

 

Powered by Preservica
Texas State Library and Archives Commission | 1201 Brazos St., Austin TX 78701 | (512) 463-5455 | info@tsl.texas.gov | P.O. Box 12927, Austin TX 78711-2927